J Sainsbury PLC (LON: SBRY), just like Morrison (WM) Supermarkets (LON: MRW), has said they might need police’s help in enforcing wearing masks and other lockdown rules in its supermarkets.
- The supermarket major said that they would deploy trained security guards at shops who would tackle customers not wearing masks.
- It also said that they would reduce the number of shoppers entering the store at one time.
- Talking on the development, Sainsbury’s chief executive Simon Roberts has stated that though majority of their shoppers are taking precautions and safety measures, but there are some who are shopping without mask and in groups. He urged all to help keep the staff and the customers safe by following the guidelines of wearing mask and avoiding group shopping.
(Image source: ©Kalkine Group 2021)
- Rival store Morrisons has also declared it would strengthen its mask policy for customers after the government reported that restrictions and rules were not followed properly.
- It is also reported that Morrisons would be calling police as a last resort if customers do not comply with calls to wear a mask.
- The British Retail Consortium has also come in support of the retailers’ stance and said that it was crucial that police support the work being done by retailers.
- On 12 January 2021, the stocks of J Sainsbury PLC (LON: SBRY), traded higher by 0.21% from its previous closing, hovering at around GBX 237.10 at 08:08 AM GMT+1.