- Fast fashion is worsening the already deteriorating climate to a great extent.
- People are moving towards sustainable fashion to transform the industry and make people more conscious of what they wear.
- There is a high need to rethink fashion in the present-day world to suit all.
Thinking about conscious fashion might sound like an elitist idea, but it is of the most significant factors affecting natural resources. The global fashion industry is enormous in its monetary value, employment generation, market significance and the resources it consumes.
In the world of Instagram, concepts like “fast fashion” have become prevalent. Because of the cheap availability of clothes, people hoard clothes, wear a piece of clothing only once or twice and discard it. But how much does it affect the environment is a matter of question.
Fast fashion: the primary poison
The Earth is experiencing extreme weather conditions, problems like water scarcity and heatwaves heavily damage its ecosystem and biodiversity. And fast fashion is worsening the already deteriorating climate to a great extent.
How will Conscious fashion help you and the environment?
Several studies have suggested that 150,000,000,000 pieces of clothing are produced every year. Did you see the zeros there? Besides, used clothes are thrown in landfills, which end up being around 2500,000,000 pounds each year. So, statistically speaking, the global textile industry produces 2,100,000 tons of CO2 emissions.
Subsequently, people are moving towards sustainable fashion to transform the industry and make people more conscious of what they wear.
Image source: © Malpetr | Megapixl.com
Sustainable fashion: conscious fashion
Sustainable fashion is thoughtful and slow fashion. While making the purchase, thinking about the longevity, usage, and material of the cloth rather than simply buying it for one time use can make a lot of difference. Not only the brands but the customers should also be responsible for what they are wearing and the environmental and social impacts of their piece of clothing.
The manifold advantages of sustainable fashion
- Saves and procures natural resources: There’s tons of one-time used fibre available. If the used fibre is recycled and reused for new clothing items, it will save natural resources to a great extent. This would also help in waste management within the fashion and apparel industry.
- Reduces carbon footprint: Recycled clothes require lesser energy, lesser chemicals and pesticides and lesser water. On the other hand, clothes made from new fabric require a lot of energy, and thus the carbon footprint is high.
- Ensures safer working conditions: The fashion industry has a long history of workers being mistreated in the workspaces; low wages, long working hours and bad working conditions have been prevalent. However, ethical fashion brands ensure that the workers are treated like respectable human beings.
- Healthy for the people and the planet: About 8,000 different synthetic substances are used to bleach, dye, and wet process garments. These chemicals are harmful substances that cause injuries to workers and sometimes even cause death.
How about wearing clothes that are good for yourself, for the industry labourers and the environment? Sustainable clothing is warm, healthy, and thoughtful: something that makes you fall in love with your clothes again. Thus, conclusively, there is a high need to rethink fashion in the present-day world so that it is suitable for all.