Cerrejon And Its Union to Hold Talks on Controversial Proposed Work Schedule

  • November 25, 2020 12:11 PM GMT
  • Kunal Sawhney
    CEO Kunal Sawhney
    2212 Posts

    Kunal Sawhney is founder & CEO at Kalkine and is a richly experienced and accomplished financial professional with a wealth of knowledge in the Australian Equities Market. Kunal obtained a Master of Business Administration degree from University of T...

Cerrejon And Its Union to Hold Talks on Controversial Proposed Work Schedule

Summary

  • Cerrejon and its largest workers’ union Sintracarbon is going to hold technical discussions about a controversial work schedule it had proposed
  • On 31 August, Sintarcarbón launched a strike and rejected a shift change introduced by Cerrejon that would add 72 working days per year
  • On its part, Cerrejon said the new shift is required to ensure the current and future sustainability of the firm amid low coal prices

Colombian coal miner Cerrejon and its largest workers’ union Sintracarbon have agreed to hold technical discussions about a controversial work schedule it had proposed in order to end the strike, which started on 31 August.

It has been reported that the strike was called after the Colombian coal miner and its union Sintracarbon failed to reach agreements about shift change, pay rises, education and health allowance and living benefits for workers.

The major conflict between the two parties was that the company had decided to implement a new shift plan, which added 72 working days per year for the workers without any wage benefit. Members of the union said the company wanted to implement the new shift without giving any details, which prompted the workers to name the new shift as the ‘shift of death’.

The controversy led to mediation from a tribunal formed by the Labour Ministry in order to resolve the conflict amid the ongoing strike. According to sources, the officials in the ministry summoned the parties to open a dialogue, but Cerrejón did not respond.

The workers had said under the new shift, the workers won't get any recovery time to transport home between shifts, which would disturb their personal life and cause irreparable damage to their health.

Correjon, on the other hand, said the technical negotiations about the new shift plan would focus on issues such as safety and health, including workers' sleep and fatigue, legal conflicts, lodging, transportation, social assistance for the families of the workers, etc.

The company added that the new shift is required to ensure the current and future sustainability of the firm amid low coal prices and falling demand due to the pandemic.

Sintracarbon pointed out that the new shift will compel the staff to work 21 days each month instead of 15 and will affect worker’s health and lead to 1,250 job cuts. The coal miner had said only 700 jobs would be slashed.

Earlier in August, the Sintracarbon union had said that nearly 99 per cent of votes were cast in favour of the strike after extended talks over salary increase ended without agreement. Union president Igor Diaz said that the union was willing to continue talks and had requested the involvement of the Colombia Labor Ministry.

In the meantime, Cerrejon, which is owned by mining colossuses BHP Group, Anglo American and Glencore, is planning to suspend bus services from the cities of Valledupar, Barranquilla and some areas of Guajira's towns. The move will prompt some coal workers to sleepover in towns that will be nearby to the complex at their own cost.

 


Disclaimer
The website https://kalkinemedia.com/uk is a service of Kalkine Media Ltd (Kalkine Media), Company Number 12643132. The principal purpose of the content on this website is to provide factual information only and does not contain or imply any recommendation or opinion intended to influence your financial decisions and must not be relied upon by you as such. Some of the content on this website may be sponsored/non-sponsored, as applicable, but is NOT a solicitation or recommendation to buy, sell or hold the stock of the company (or companies) or engage in any investment activity under discussion. We are neither licensed nor qualified to provide investment advice through this platform. In providing you with the content on this website, we have not considered your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should make your own enquiries and obtain your own independent advice prior to making any financial decisions.
Some of the images that may be used on this website are copyright to their respective owner(s). Kalkine Media does not claim ownership of any of the pictures displayed on this website unless stated otherwise. The images that may be used on this website are taken from various sources on the web and are believed to be in public domain. We have used reasonable efforts to accredit the source (public domain/CC0 status) to where it was found and indicated it below the image. The information provided on the website is in good faith, however Kalkine Media does not make any representation or warranty regarding the content, accuracy, or use of the content on the website.

 

   
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. OK