- The organic food industry is a fledgeling industry, experiencing strong demand in the recent years.
- Organic food refers to safe, clean and nutritionally rich food grown without any synthetic and unnatural pesticides and fertilisers.
- Though organic food is highly expensive at the moment, they may prove cost efficient owing to their health benefits in the long run.
In the present modern world, it is hard to say whether the food we consume is adulterated or not. Especially with the rising cases of crops and animals affected by global warming, healthy food production is on the decline. The increasing world population is another reason for food scarcity.
So, the chances of suppliers mixing unhealthy substances in the food supply have tremendously increased. Be it oil, flour, pulses, meat, milk, or any other food items, it is difficult to analyse if the food supplies the appropriate nutrients. Thus, the culture of organic food has come to the surface.
Many people, especially in the west, have been growing their produce organically. In recent years, several brands have also been launched that solely sell organic vegetables and other food essentials.
For people who aren’t aware of what organic food actually means, let’s explain it in simple terms: It is food that is grown without adding any synthetic and unnatural pesticides and fertilisers. These food items are supposed to be 100% natural.
Scientists and doctors recommend that we should consume more organic food items and gradually shift entirely to the organic food supply.
Source: © Pavlo1716 | Megapixl.com
The major hurdle in this transition is the high cost of organic food. Though the rich can afford organic food, the economically disadvantaged have to think many times before purchasing organic food because of their high market price.
However, if the supply of organic food items is increased, the prices might go down, which in turn can improve the food supply quality by leaps and bounds.
Major benefits of eating organic
Now let’s see in-depth why one should shift to organic food:
- Fewer pesticides: Since organic food production involves more occasional or no synthetic pesticides and fertilisers, it is supposedly healthier for the body and keeps us protected.
- Fresh food: Since organic food contains fewer preservatives, the food can’t be stored for long. Thus, organic food is generally consumed while it remains fresh. In the end, if your diet includes organic food, you are automatically eating fresh food.
- Better environment: Interestingly, organic food is not simply better for our health, but it is also better for the environment. Organic food production is good for conserving the environment and reducing soil erosion. Additionally, lesser use of pesticides also protects the surrounding birds and animals.
- Better meat, eggs and milk: The animals which are raised organically are not given antibiotics, chemicals or other physical simulators. The food they are fed is also natural. As a result, organic eggs, milk, and meat are of high quality.
- Rich overall nutrients: Natural items are the most effective and healthy items. If someone is consuming organic milk, meat, eggs, and other food essentials, it is understood that the nutrient intake of that person would be higher than a person who is following the regular inorganic diet.