- Firebrick secures patent in Malaysia for Nasodine® Nasal Spray as a treatment and preventative for common cold
- Nasodine is now protected in 26 countries, with China, Singapore, Japan, and Canada on the pending list
- Nasodine is a first-in-class nasal spray medicine that targets the viral cause of the common cold and contains the broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent, povidone-iodine
- The patent is titled “Treatment and prevention of the common cold using povidone-iodine.
Innovative Australian pharmaceutical company Firebrick Pharma Limited (ASX:FRE) has added another country to its list of patents covering Nasodine®. The company’s nasal spray (Nasodine) has secured a patent in Malaysia as a treatment and preventative for the common cold.
The latest development brings the total number of countries with patent protection for the nasal spray to 26. Countries which are yet to grant the patent are China, Singapore, Japan, and Canada.
First-in-class nasal spray for common cold
Nasodine® Nasal Spray is Firebrick’s first product, a result of 10 years of development and testing. It is a first-in-class nasal spray medicine that targets the viral cause of the common cold, where colds start – in the nose.
Nasodine contains the broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent, povidone-iodine. It has demonstrated to be well-tolerated as a four-times-daily nasal spray in clinical studies.
The patent is titled “Treatment and prevention of the common cold using povidone-iodine,” and is valid till 2035 in most countries. It safeguards the intranasal use of povidone-iodine (in any form) to treat or prevent the common cold.
Claims being granted to the company are as follows:
- Treatment and prevention of colds
- Decreasing the viral load of common cold viruses
- Inhibiting secondary complications of colds, such as bronchitis, sinusitis, and otitis media
- Reducing the risk of more serious complications in at-risk populations, such as those with COPD, emphysema cystic fibrosis, asthma, or compromised immunity
Currently, Firebrick is undertaking two clinical trials of Nasodine:
- Phase 2 trial in COVID-19
- Phase 3 trial as a treatment for the common cold and support international approvals.
Key addition to the Board
Firebrick has made an important addition to its board with the appointment of Dr Richard Treagus as a non-executive director. He will assume his role from 1 June 2022.
He has an extensive ASX experience and a valuable background in pharmaceutical sales and marketing.
Dr Treagus was previously Commercial Director for Aspen Pharmacare in South Africa, CEO of Acrux Limited (ASX:ACR) and Executive Chairman of Neuren Pharmaceuticals (ASX: NEU).
On WED, 25 MAY 2022, shares of FRE traded at AU$0.390, up over 1% from the last close.