Prana Biotechnology Limited (ASX: PBT) is in the healthcare industry develops first-in-class therapies for neurodegenerative diseases to treat orphans. The company has a vast experience in research, pharmaceutical, and financial industries along with strong research and development advisory board which consist of scientists and professional research experts.
- Significant commercial opportunity due to limited treatment options which targets the underlying cause of the disease.
- PBT 434 showed efficacy in various animal models of neurodegeneration and has been shown to prevent acute oxidative damage.
- Brain iron pathologically increased in Parkinson’s disease and atypical parkinsonism.
- Multiple indication opportunities with potential for treating PD and atypical parkinsonism.
- PBT 434 is an excellent drug candidate to prevent alpha-synuclein aggregation.
Current, the company focuses on the targets key proteins implicated in neurodegeneration of Parkinson’s disease and distinct scaffold and biological profile compared to PBT2. The company has a strong US research and development team with a proven track record. It has collaboration with Harvard and Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health and innovative discovery program.
In the recent past, the company has announced, that Boston based Lifesciences was the lead investor in a program to raise to approximately A$44.5 million. Life biosciences have initially invested USD 7.5 million and entered an agreement with Prana Biotechnology, in order to raise further US$2 million as capital from other investors. An amount of AUD 31 million will be additionally invested by life biosciences and other investors, as short-term warrants are being issued as part of the transaction. Prana’s lead candidate PBT 434 is in its first phase of the clinical trial as an experimental treatment for two forms of highly debilitating Parkinson disease.
Importance of Alpha-Synuclein
- It is an intracellular protein abundantly expressed in the brain.
- Soluble, in highest concentration at presynaptic nerve endings.
- Key regulatory protein involved in neurotransmission.
Let’s quickly look at the performance and financials of the company for FY 2018. The revenue of the company stood at $201,174 in FY 2018 as compared to $132,396 in FY 2017 an increase of 51 % approximately. The total assets stood at $18.72 million in FY 2018 as compared to $25.28 million in FY 2017, a decrease by 35% approximately. The net cash outflow from operating activities stood at $6.245 million in FY 2018 as compared to $5.865 million in FY 2017, however, the net cash outflow from investing activities decreased and stood at $18,417 in FY 2018 as compared to $27,918 in FY 2017.
Let us now see how the stock of Prana Biotechnology Limited has performed today. The stock ended the session in red and the stock price has settled at A$0.040 per share which implies that there has been a fall of A$0.004 per share or 9.091%. Prana Biotechnology has a market capitalization of $23.63 million, and the stock price is trading slightly towards the lower level. We will now look at the past performance of the stock. Over the span of previous six months and three months, the stock has delivered the return of -4.35% and -10.2%, respectively. However, in the period of previous one month, it has given 12.82% return, with a 52-week high price of $0.070 and a 52-week low price of $0.028.