Kazia Therapeutics Limited (ASX: KZA) operates as a biotechnology company. The Company develops anti-cancer drugs, as well as provides pharmaceutical research and development technology solutions. Kazia Therapeutics serves customers globally.
The company has stated in the latest update, the various details regarding the presentation to biotech showcase.
The company's lead program is named as GDC-0084. This is a very small molecule inhibitor of the PI3K/AKT/ mTOR pathway, which is created so as to treat the glioblastoma multiforme, which is considered as the most prevalent nature of basic & primary brain cancer. The Initial data for this is anticipated to come out in the year 2019.
Cantrixil is a Generation 3rd benzopyran molecule as it has got features of activism against the cancer cells and thus is being worked upon for the treatment of ovarian cancer. The GDC-0084 value proposition is considerable, which is briefed as below:
- Currently in Phase II clinical trials, under IND with US FDA, at leading US centres for brain cancer.
- Clear Phase I data, with the favourable safety profile and indications of efficacy in late-stage GBM patients.
- Clear unmet medical need, with only existing therapy working in ~35% of patients.
- Defined >US$1 billion market potential for GBM alone.
- PI3K is a well-validated onco-target, with three existing therapies on the market, but GDC-0084 uniquely differentiated by an ability to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Key inflection points due in 2H 2019, and additional indication investigator studies ongoing With updates in 2019.
Also, the Cantrixil phase 1 study has now progressed into Part B, and data is expected in calendar year 2019. The part B will deal with the Dose expansions, and for these purposes, there are 12 patients, and all of them are at 5 mg/kg. By this phase, the company Seeks to provide potential efficacy signals. Moreover, Kazia has become a compelling investment proposition on account of the below-mentioned factors:
- Its Lead program, GDC-0084, sourced from Genentech, is the world’s most successful cancer drug developer.
- Class of drugs, PI3K inhibitors, is well-validated and resurgent, but GDC-0084 is uniquely differentiated by an ability to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Phase I data shows favourable safety profile and evidence of efficacy; phase II study is underway under FDA oversight and with world-class centres of excellence in brain cancer.
- High unmet need for new therapies, with an only existing drug effective in just 35% of patients and no front-runner among drugs in development.
- Collaborations are progressing in childhood brain cancer and in brain cancer that has spread from elsewhere; largely funded by participating hospitals.
- The second program, Cantrixil, in an ongoing phase I study with preliminary evidence of Activity.
- Four data read-outs from clinical trials over calendar year 2019, with significant potential to drive financial value and potential partnering.
- The company is well-funded to complete ongoing studies after institutional placement to sector-specialist investors.
Meanwhile, the stock price of the company has fallen by 31 percent in the past six months as on 4 January 2019. KZA’s shares traded at $0.355 with the market capitalization of circa $21.45 million as on 7 January 2019. (AEST 04:00 PM).