- On Thursday, the NSW Government announced Alfresco Restart package worth AU$66 million to boost outdoor dining and hospitality business in Australia post lockdown.
- The decision was taken in view of the decline in COVID-19 cases and as the state is ready to open up for fully vaccinated residents.
- It is believed that the Alfresco Restart Package will enable the hospitality sector to make a comeback after a lengthy winter lockdown.
In the latest development, the NSW government has come up with a new and innovative way to encourage outdoor dining and Sydney's hospitality business. On Thursday, the NSW Government announced Alfresco Restart package AU$66 million for the streets of the NSW to "come alive" post-lockdown.
The decision was taken in view of the decline in COVID-19 cases and as the state is ready to open up for fully vaccinated residents. So as the people eagerly wait to socialise and dine with their closed ones, a raft of initiatives, including the offering of AU$66 million, will see a quick return of outdoor activations and alfresco dining.
Treasurer Matt Kean has reportedly said that Alfresco dining is not just a great way to dine, but it is also a way to stay safe. Kean has said the Alfresco Restart initiative, which involves funding of $66 million, is aimed at supporting new outdoor leisure activities and dining precincts.
The Alfresco Restart initiatives to be rolled out from November involve:
- Temporary alfresco initiatives such as outdoor dining in parks or on private land with the owner's permission; and
- AU$5,000 grants for Restaurants, bars and cafes (hospitality businesses) to establish new alfresco settings;
In addition, under this plan, NSW residents who are either 18 years or more and have so far not applied for any of the Dine and Discover vouchers will get all six AU$25 vouchers through their ServiceNSW app. However, this is only possible if they apply for the coupons before the program ends.
It is believed that the Alfresco Restart Package will enable the hospitality sector to make a comeback after a lengthy winter lockdown. As per the government data, approximately 4.8 million people have used the Dine and Discover vouchers since last year's rollout, providing businesses with AU$430 million hike. It is estimated that the rollout of the new vouchers will cost the government around AU$250 million.