2023 Spotify Wrapped unveils the top artists, songs, albums, and podcasts that defined how we listened this year, and the new personalized Wrapped user experience
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, Nov. 30, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Spotify today unveils its 2023 Wrapped campaign - announcing the top artists, albums, songs, and podcasts that defined how over 574 million people around the world listened this year. Users can also discover their personalized Wrapped user experience when they open Spotify, packed with brand new interactive features to celebrate their year on Spotify.
Overall, 2023 was defined by the epic return of major female artists, sonic diversity across the charts, and a global music culture that saw the rise of powerful genres. Our top lists reflect these trends and the overall expansion of music and podcasts as Spotify continues to grow its user base.
Closer to home, Malaysia's 2023 Wrapped results are an exemplification of how music can move across borders on Spotify, as the top lists include a blend of talent and music from both the East and West.
In Malaysia, Taylor Swift also ranks on top of the list of most-streamed artists of the year, followed by The Weeknd at #2. K-Pop supergroups BTS and BLACKPINK rank at #3 and #5 respectively, and completing the top five list at number #4 is SZA.
The nation's diverse soundtrack becomes even more evident in its top five list of most-streamed tracks. "Kill Bill" by SZA takes home the title of Malaysia's Top Song of the Year, while next on the list are Indonesian hits: "Sial" by Mahalini (#2) and "Tak Segampang Itu" by Anggi Marito (#3). "OMG" by NewJeans and "Seven (feat. Latto)" by Jung Kook rank at #4 and #5 respectively, serving as a testament to listeners' love for the K-Pop genre.
Spotify Wrapped wouldn't be complete without celebrating the local talent and creators loved on their homeground and beyond. Masdo emerges as Malaysia's Top Local Artist of the Year, followed by Dato' Sri Siti Nuhaliza at #2. Since being featured on Spotify's RADAR program this year, which is dedicated to showcasing emerging and talented artists around the world, rapper Luqman Podolski comes in #3, and is also named the Top RADAR Malaysia Artist of the Year.
Meanwhile, Dalia Farhana is crowned the Top EQUAL Malaysia Artist of the Year, topping the list of local artists that were featured on Spotify's gender equity program dedicated to amplifying women creators and their music. Her winning streak continues as her single "Langit Yang Sama" takes home the title of Malaysia's Top Local Song of the Year.
Last but not least, local podcast "MALAM SERAM" is named Malaysia's Top Podcast of the Year.
HOW THE WORLD LISTENED TO K-POP
This year, Spotify is also putting the spotlight on K-Pop: the genre that has scaled the globe and proven that music, from anywhere in the world, can transcend language and cultural boundaries. In celebration of the continued growth and export of the genre, 2023 Wrapped unveils the Global Top K-Pop Artists and Songs of the Year.
On top of the list of Global Top K-Pop Artists of the Year is BTS who maintain their stronghold from 2022. Next on the ranks are BLACKPINK at #2 and Jung Kook of BTS at #3. Proving they are forces to be reckoned with, 4th-gen sensations NewJeans and Stray Kids round off the top five, coming in at #4 and #5 respectively.
The BTS members and NewJeans continue to dominate on the global top five list of most streamed K-Pop songs this year. "Seven (feat. Latto)" by Jung Kook emerges at #1, while "Like Crazy" by bandmate Jimin comes in at #3. In a testament to their remarkable rookie year, NewJeans' "OMG" and "Ditto" rank at #4 and #5 on the list respectively. Completing the roster at #2 is viral hit "Cupid - Twin Ver." by FIFTY FIFTY.
YOUR WRAPPED PERSONALIZED USER EXPERIENCE
Eligible users can now access their personalized 2023 Wrapped experience exclusively in the Spotify mobile app (iOS and Android), and also this year, via web view on mobile or Desktop by heading to Spotify.com/Wrapped. Please make sure your Spotify app is updated to the latest version to access.
Here's what to look out for when you open Spotify. Your Wrapped results can reveal what you were really feeling in 2023.
- New data stories bringing you to the heart of their listening: In addition to your top artists, genres, songs, podcasts and minutes listened, we're adding a few new features to look out for.
- Me in 2023 celebrates a streaming habit that defined your listening this year. The experience will reveal one of 12 listening characters that best describes the way you listened on Spotify this year – examples include the Shapeshifter (you're quick to move from one artist to the next), the Luminary (you play light, upbeat music more than others), or the Alchemist (you create your own playlists more than others do).
- Sound Town matches you to a city based on your listening and shared artist affinity. Listening habits are shared in surprising ways across communities around the world, and 2023 Wrapped celebrates that.
- Wrapped fan-favorites appear in a refreshed way users haven't seen before:
- Top 5 Genres story shows you how your top five music genres stacked up with a new sandwich-inspired design.
- Top 5 Artists lets you see the month your listening peaked for each artist – painting a fuller picture of your entire year and all the moments that made it.
- You will also get to hear from one of your top artists directly within your personalized Wrapped via Your Artist Messages. You can then visit the Wrapped feed for video messages from thousands of artists including Taylor Swift, Masdo, NewJeans, SZA, Dalia Farhana, Jung Kook and more.
- Wrapped Feed: Right on your Spotify Home screen, the Wrapped feed is the one-stop shop for all things Wrapped, including the best of editorial playlists, merch from your top artists, concerts near you, and more.
- Bringing Blend to the Wrapped experience: This year, you can invite your friends to create a Blend and tap the '2023 Wrapped Top Songs' filter to combine all of your top songs from this year into one shared playlist.
Note to Editors:
- Please find the full top lists of artists, songs, playlists and podcasts in Malaysia, globally, and in K-Pop HERE.
- For more information, visit For The Record.
- Hi-res images to include in your story are HERE.
Spotify transformed music listening forever when we launched in 2008. Our mission is to unlock the potential of human creativity by giving a million creative artists the opportunity to live off their art and billions of fans the opportunity to enjoy and be inspired by these creators. Everything we do is driven by our love for music.
Discover, manage, and share over 100 million tracks, including 5 million podcast titles, and 350,000 audiobooks, for free, or upgrade to Spotify Premium to access exclusive features including improved sound quality and an on-demand, offline, and ad-free listening experience.
Today, we are the world's most popular audio streaming subscription service with a community of more than 574 million users, including 226 million Spotify Premium subscribers, across more than 180 markets. We are also the largest driver of revenue to the music business today.
For more information, images, or to contact the press team, please head over to our press page at https://newsroom.spotify.com/.