Board Merger Of Fairfax Media and Nine Entertainment - Shares surge

  • Sep 21, 2018 AEST
  • Team Kalkine
Board Merger Of Fairfax Media and Nine Entertainment - Shares surge

Nine Entertainment Company (ASX: NEC) published their press release which stated that the it would be merging with Fairfax Media Limited (ASX:FXJ). This would strengthen the former’s current market position and the company would be in the list of leading media companies. As per the scheme of arrangement, Nine Entertainment would be acquiring 100% shares of Fairfax after receiving the regulatory approvals as well as after the completion of other formalities.

Once the transaction gets completed, the shareholders of Nine would be holding 51.1% of the company which would be formed after merger. Needless to say, the remaining portion (48.9%) would be held by the shareholders of Fairfax. The merged company would be headed by the present CEO (chief executing officer) of Nine entertainment named Hugh Marks. The merged company’s board would also include three directors of Fairfax while the Chairman of the board would be the present Chairman of Nine Entertainment named Peter Costello. However, the board would also be having the two more directors of Nine Entertainment. Among the three directors of Fairfax, one would be Nick Falloon and the other two directors are Mickie Rosen as well as Patrick Allaway. 

What’s in it for the shareholders?

As per the arrangement, the shareholders of Fairfax would be receiving 0.3627 shares of Nine Entertainment against every share of Fairfax which was held. Along with this, Fairfax’s shareholders would also be eligible for $0.025 cash against every share of Fairfax. The aggregate consideration (i.e. cash and in scrips) reflects 21.9% premium on the share price of Fairfax closed on July 25, 2018 which was $0.770. This also represents a 22.6% premium on the one-month volume weighted average price or VWAP of Fairfax on the same date which was $0.766.

At the time of writing, Nine Entertainment was trading at A$2.265 reflecting an increase of 1.57% while Fairfax Media was trading at A$0.835 implying an increase of 2.5%. The stock price of NEC has advanced 45.75% this year to date while the stock price of FXJ witnessed the rise of 11.6% in last six months.

Dividend Stocks To Buy

The Income available from dividends remains attractive for many investors.

We take a look at the best yields on the market and assess what they say about a company’s prospect.

One Thing is certain, though, Australia interest rates are still low, making income difficult to come by and keeping the focus for many investors on high yielding stocks. Kalkine’s team of analysts bought you handpicked report for “Top 25 Dividend Stocks For 2018.”

ASX-relevant Special Reports are published year-round to provide a detailed analysis into an investing opportunity or a potential risk to your portfolio.

Click here to get your free report.


The advice given by Kalkine Pty Ltd and provided on this website is general information only and it does not take into account your investment objectives, financial situation or needs. You should therefore consider whether the advice is appropriate to your investment objectives, financial situation and needs before acting upon it. You should seek advice from a financial adviser, stockbroker or other professional (including taxation and legal advice) as necessary before acting on any advice. Not all investments are appropriate for all people. and associated websites are published by Kalkine Pty Ltd ABN 34 154 808 312 (Australian Financial Services License Number 425376). website), employees and/or associates of Kalkine Pty Ltd do not hold positions in any of the stocks covered on the website. These stocks can change any time and readers of the reports should not consider these stocks as advice or recommendations.



All pictures are copyright to their respective owner(s) does not claim ownership of any of the pictures displayed on this website unless stated otherwise. Some of the images used on this website are taken from the web and are believed to be in public domain. We have used reasonable efforts to accredit the source (public domain/CC0 status) to where it was found and indicated it below the image.


There is no investor left unperturbed with the ongoing trade conflicts between US-China and the devastating bushfire in Australia.

Are you wondering if the year 2020 might not have taken the right start? Dividend stocks could be the answer to that question.

As interest rates in Australia are already at record low levels, find out which dividend stocks are viewed as the most attractive investment opportunity in the current scenario in our report.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. OK