The programme touches upon the latest economic and financial developments across the globe, some of which can have far-reaching effects worldwide. Watch The Economic Corner on Kalkine TV and stay updated.
• G20 finance ministers have collectively endorsed carbon pricing for the first time to tackle climate change.
• G20 finance ministers said that tackling climate change, biodiversity loss and promoting environmental protection remain urgent priorities.
• William Nordhaus, an American economist and Nobel laureate, gave the keynote address at the conference, calling for a “climate club” of countries willing to commit to a carbon price.
• Elon Musk is expected to testify over the Tesla acquisition of SolarCity worth 2.6 billion dollars. SolarCity is Elon Musk’s solar energy start-up that was teetering just before Tesla bought it in 2016 for $2.6bn in Tesla shares.
• The Australian Prudential Regulation Authority or the APRA said "it is possible that other interest rates determined in the financial markets could fall to zero or below zero at any time.
• Moving on to some important economic data announcements - Japanese wholesale prices continued to surge in June as import costs spiked at the fastest pace on record. According to the latest data released by the Bank of Japan, the numbers were a clear sign of rising raw material costs that were weighing on corporate profits.