The programme touches upon the latest economic and financial developments across the globe, some of which can have far-reaching effects worldwide. Watch The Economic Corner on Kalkine TV and stay updated.
• Israel has now become the first country in the world to officially offer a “booster dose” of the BioNTech/Pfizer Covid-19 jab.
• Pfizer and BioNTech said that a third dose “has the potential to preserve the highest levels of protective efficacy against all currently known variants including Delta.
• Now for an update coming in from Johnson & Johnson on its coronavirus vaccine – The company said that it has been in discussions with US regulators about a rare neurological side effect of its Covid-19 vaccine. J&J said rare cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome were detected by people following vaccination with its single-shot jab.
• Prime Minister Boris Johnson has confirmed that the remaining Covid-19 laws in England will be lifted on July 19. While saying this, he urged the businesses to apply new guidelines to control the disease.
• According to the UN, the economic fallout from the pandemic and rapidly rising food prices have fuelled a sharp increase in the number of people going hungry around the world.
• National Australia Bank or NAB’s index of business conditions dropped 12 points to 24 in June, after climbing 5 points in a very strong May survey.
• British Retail Consortium BRC-KPMG retail sales monitor showed that the quarter to June saw a mammoth rebound in sales after stores reopened and people continued to spend more online.