- SUDA Pharmaceuticals (ASX:SUD) is a leading oro-mucosal drug delivery leader based in Australia.
- The Company’s management is presently working with the technical team to further bolster the intellectual property portfolio as it proceeds with its R&D efforts.
- SUDA has recently modified its business strategy which now focusses on a reduced number of projects, comprising ZolpiMist®, anagrelide, Sumatriptan and Cannabinoids.
- The Company is in the process of securing the Australian partner for the commercialisation of ZolpiMist® and continuing discussions with additional territories.
- Going forth, SUDA will continue to source deal flow and add new technologies to its portfolio in the oncology and central nervous system (CNS) space.
Oro-mucosal drug delivery leader based in Australia, SUDA Pharmaceuticals Limited (ASX:SUD), has published its Investor Presentation – November 2020 on the ASX. SUDA’s Managing Director and CEO, Dr Michael Baker, presented a new presentation at the Finance News Network Virtual Investor Event held on 17 November 2020.
The latest presentation focuses on SUDA’s unique platform technology, patent portfolio, key projects and the Company’s future course of action. Let us take a closer look at each of these aspects:
Unique Platform Technology – OroMist™
SUDA is reformulating existing billion-dollar drugs for oral delivery through its exclusive OroMistTM technology, which can offer it a faster path to market while creating significant cost and time savings.
There are several potential benefits of administering drugs via the oral mucosa, which comprise:
- Faster onset of action: The drug can directly enter the bloodstream by traversing the lining of the mouth.
- Easier to administer: This drug dosing method can enable patients suffering from nausea to effectively take their medication. It can also potentially be used treat patients not amendable to taking medication, such as patients suffering from seizures, dysphagia (the inability to swallow) and paediatrics.
- Increased compliance: An oral spray eliminates the requirement for injection and the need to inhale or swallow.
Moreover, the available clinical data suggests that administering drugs via oral mucosa results in increased bioavailability. The drug bypasses the gastro-intestinal tract preventing breakdown, so patients can potentially take less drug.
Strong Patent Portfolio
SUDA’s intellectual property currently comprises several granted and pending patents, trademarks and proprietary know-how. The Company’s patent families cover:
- Several high-usage existing drugs devised into oral sprays
- Hydrotrope technology for improved delivery of drugs across the oral mucosa
- Anagrelide use in cancer – granted in Australia, Europe and Japan
SUDA’s management is presently working with the technical team to further bolster the intellectual property portfolio as it proceeds with its R&D efforts.
SUDA has recently modified its business strategy which now focusses on a reduced number of projects, comprising ZolpiMist®, anagrelide, Sumatriptan and Cannabinoids. With these projects, the Company is eyeing large target markets, including cancer (US$38 billion for immuno-oncology by 2025) insomnia (US$4 billion by 2026), migraine (US$8.7 billion by 2026), and medical-grade cannabis (US$51 billion by 2025).
Among these projects, ZolpiMist® is the most advanced project that has recently obtained TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) approval for the treatment of short-term insomnia. The TGA approval is expected to assist SUDA’s current partners (TEVA, MTP Singapore and MTP Korea) with their regulatory submissions and commercialisation efforts.
Following the TGA approval, the Company’s licensed territories for ZolpiMist® now cover about 550 million people. The Company is now in the process of securing an Australian partner for the commercialisation of ZolpiMist® and continuing discussions with additional territories.
Besides ZolpiMist®, SUDA is also advancing with the development of anagrelide oral spray for the treatment of metastatic disease in patients with certain solid tumour cancers. The Company is progressing with the work to optimise the formulation to make sure that it is sufficiently stable for a pharmaceutical-grade product.
To Read Anagrelide’s Promising Results from Canine Pharmacokinetic Study, Click Here!
Going forth, SUDA will continue to source deal flow and include new technologies to its portfolio in the oncology and central nervous system (CNS) space. SUDA’s refreshed board and senior management team will be instrumental in enabling the Company to move along the growth path, in line with its staged business and marketing strategy.
SUDA shares are trading at $0.041 as at 11:21 AM AEST.