- NOVONIX (ASX:NVX) renews Dalhousie University relationship with new research agreement’s (ASX:NVX) subsidiary Novonix Battery Technology Solutions will extend its sponsorship of Prof. Mark Obrovac’s lab at Dalhousie University.
- Both parties have entered into a new research agreement under the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council.
- NOVONIX has provided Dalhousie University with opportunities to commercialise developed technology and provide experience to students and researchers around battery development and testing.
NOVONIX Limited (ASX:NVX) and Dalhousie University have renewed their relationship following a new agreement. The Company’s Canadian-based subsidiary, NOVONIX Battery Technology Solutions (NOVONIX BTS) has decided to extend the sponsorship of Prof. Mark Obrovac’s lab at Dalhousie University.
Copyright © 2021 Kalkine Media Pty Ltd
NOVONIX’s & Dalhousie University’s new agreement
The parties have entered into a new research agreement under the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) of Canada’s Alliance Grants Program. Notably, NOVONIX BTS had sponsored Prof. Obrovac’s group for the prior two years via the NSERC Industrial Research Chair Program.
Under the new five-year program-
- NSERC (through the Alliance program) will contribute more than CAD 2.2 million, NOVONIX BTS will contribute more than CAD 1.1 million.
- The funding will be used for equipment, support for new students and researchers and necessary research materials.
- NOVONIX will have first rights to IP developed.
“It has been extremely valuable to have a team focused on new materials projects across a range of battery materials”, says CEO Dr Chris Burns.
The lab’s synergy in proximity to NOVONIX’s Halifax development centre enables its team to promptly assess materials and build into commercial format cells for state of the art testing utilizing its internal battery cell pilot line and with NOVONIX BTS’s significant internal testing resources.
NOVONIX & Dalhousie University- A continued relationship
The Company has announced multiple patent application filings risen from research in Prof. Obrovac’s group in the past. These include-
- Patent applications related to Dry Particle Microgranulation (DPMG) technology
- The capability to enhance yield in the anode manufacturing process.
- Synthesize single and polycrystalline high-nickel cathode materials.
As Dalhousie University’s partner, NOVONIX has offered ample opportunities to commercialise the University’s developed technology and a forum for students and researchers to obtain experience over battery development and testing.
As the relationship flourishes, Prof Jeff Dahn will be joining the NOVONIX team in June 2021, serving as Chief Scientific Advisor.
Reportedly, NOVONIX BTS is expanding its team and facility to commercialise and show the cathode technology starting with the installed in-house cathode pilot processing capability (DPMG-based).
Overview of NOVONIX’s non-Canadian operations
The Company operates the PUREgraphite anode material plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. It is currently ramping capacity to 2,000 tons per year of synthetic graphite.
RECENT PUREgraphite DEVELOPMENT: Novonix (ASX:NVX) shares shoot up as PUREgraphite notches over $5M US grant
The increased output includes the supply of an initial 500 tons to Samsung SDI. NOVONIX also has a non-binding agreement with Sanyo Electric to assess production materials from this plant.
On 12 February 2021, NVX traded up by 1.1 per cent at AUD 2.72, with a trading volume of over 3 million.