- Cyprium Metals has been progressing near-term development of Nifty open pit heap leach copper strategy for the production of LME Grade A copper cathode.
- The development across Nifty has leveraged its extensive onsite infrastructure and significant existing resource base.
- Expansion Drilling is underway at Nifty, with the focus on expanding current resources and boosting confidence.
West Australia-focused copper developer and explorer, Cyprium Metals Limited (ASX: CYM), envisages building a mid-tier Australian copper mining business. The company is focused on the near-term development of the Nifty open pit heap leach copper strategy to produce an LME grade A copper cathode.
With a substantial oxide and sulphide mineral resource of more than 650 kt Copper, the Nifty Copper Mine has produced around 715 kt copper metal since its commencement (in 1993) to 30 November 2019. Ever since completing the acquisition on 30 March 2021, Cyprium has remained active on Nifty and rapidly advanced it towards production.
Source: Copyright © 2021 Kalkine Media, Data Source: CYM Presentation, dated 19 October 2021
Now, let us look at recent undertakings.
Site activities continue to accelerate towards production
Cyprium has rapidly advanced Nifty towards production, with significant work already undertaken to advance towards development and production. Survey work for restart government approvals has been completed, with Cyprium compiling documentation for submission. The report for new versus refurbishment SX-EW is also complete.
Significant work has been undertaken to proceed towards development and production:
- Review, plan and drill gaps in the Mineral Resource are continuing.
- Check metallurgical test work undertaken and continue with excellent results.
- Commenced a 19,000m resource gap and inferred infill drilling programme
- Continuing engagement with traditional owners and government authorities.
- The refurbishment of engineering and design commenced, which remains a critical path on the long lead item.
- Commenced the refurbishment process on SX-EW.
Resource Expansion Drilling
Material drilling programs are aimed at expanding current resources and increasing confidence. Notably, resource Expansion Drilling underway at Nifty consists of:
- A 3,000m program to test for expansion potential on the Eastern end of the mineralisation- Phase 1 completed successfully, and Phase 2 planned.
- A 16,000m program to test for expansion potential on the Western end of Nifty open-pit- The drilling is underway, with initial results imminent.
The second Rig (Diamond Drill) is currently drilling in-situ mineralisation for studying metallurgy. Further, mining optimisation has commenced on the Mineral Resource, with the review and update of the Mineral Resource continuing.
Optimising the Metallurgy
Optimising a Heap Leach that has historically produced more than 200kt of Copper has remained one of Cyprium’s key focus areas. Multiple work streams are underway to optimise Nifty Heap Leach Metallurgy by utilising a significant amount of historical data and applying modern techniques to a proven process.
In addition, column tests are underway at ALS on bulk samples taken from trenching of heap leach pads, with very encouraging indications, considering the short leach time. The Company is expected to announce leaching results in Q4 2021.
CYM using the sonic drill rig has successfully taken composite samples from heap leach while diamond drill onsite would take core samples from in-situ Resources for optimisation.
In addition to the Nifty Copper mine, Cyprium Metals continues to witness significant copper exploration and development potential on the back of its other projects, such as the Cue copper project, Nanadie Well and Maroochydore copper project and the Paterson exploration project. Cyprium continues to delineate extensive, shallow and broad Copper-gold mineralisation from the Nanadie Well project.