- Kazia Therapeutics has announced that it will present the summary of paxalisib’s new Phase II study data at the SNO Annual Meeting to be held during 19-21 November.
- The new interim data of paxalisib in glioblastoma is consistent with the previous results validating the favourable efficacy and safety profile of the molecule.
- The Company anticipates the Phase II study completion in the first half of CY21.
ASX-listed oncology-focused biotechnology company Kazia Therapeutics Limited (ASX:KZA, NASDAQ:KZIA) witnessed its share price surge on the ASX following the announcement that it would present a summary of new paxalisib data at the SNO Annual Meeting.
The shares of KZA were trading at A$1.575 (at AEDT 3:09 PM), rising sharply by 32.352%. The Company’s market capitalisation stands at A$150.13 million.
Let us discuss in detail what Kazia Therapeutics announced recently-
About Kazia Therapeutics Limited
Sydney-headquartered biotechnology player Kazia Therapeutics Limited is engaged in developing therapies across several oncology indications. The Company’s drug pipeline includes two clinical-stage drug development candidates- paxalisib and cantrixil.
Summary of new paxalisib Phase IIa data presented at SNO
On 18 November 2020, Kazia Therapeutics Limited announced that the Company would present a summary of new paxalisib data at the Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO) Annual Meeting, to be held from 19-21 November 2020 (virtually).
KZA stated that the new interim data of paxalisib in Phase II clinical trial in glioblastoma is highly consistent with the prior data.
The interim results of the study demonstrate a median progression-free survival of 8.4 months versus 5.3 months for the existing standard of care, temozolomide. The median overall survival of 17.5 months was reported versus 12.7 months for temozolomide.
Moreover, the Company anticipates that the trial will be complete in the first half of the calendar year 2021. However, KZA believes that the results, so far, have already given useful information to support the development of paxalisib.
Kazia CEO Dr James Garner commented-
Mr Garner also added that Kazia Therapeutics has moved into the operational phase of the GBM AGILE pivotal study. He said that the study would be the primary focus of the Company’s work in glioblastoma.
Paxalisib Phase IIa Study in Brief
The current Phase IIa study (NCT03522298) aims to investigate the safety, tolerability, along with the clinical activity of paxalisib in patients having newly-diagnosed GBM and unmethylated MGMT promotor status, after the surgical resection and chemoradiotherapy.
Next Steps: Final data anticipated in the first half of 2021
- The Phase II study of paxalisib is ongoing, with the final results anticipated in H1 CY21.
- The Company stated that the paxalisib arm of the GBM AGILE study has stepped into an operational phase, and the first patient is expected in the first quarter CY21.
- The St Jude study in DIPG continues, with final results likely in H1 CY21.