E-L Financial Corporation Limited is a financial service company that deals in the investment and insurance business.
The Toronto-based investment and insurance holding company mainly operate through two business divisions:
• E-L Corporate
• Empire Life Insurance Company or Empire Life
E-L Corporate segment
It invests in equity market securities across the globe. The corporate segment holds the investment portfolio directly and indirectly through investment funds, common shares, close-ended funds or private companies.
The investment under this segment includes:
• Algoma Central Corporation: The financial company holds a 37.4 per cent stake in Algoma Central Corporation, a marine shipping company.
• United Corporations Limited (United): The company holds a 52.7 per cent interest in United, which operates as an investment vehicle that deals in closed-end investments. It is a TSX-listed company.
• Economic Investment Trust Limited: E-L Financial Corporation holds a 24.1 per cent stake in this close-ended investment trust.
E-L Financial Corporation consolidated investment in Empire Life accounts for 99.4 per cent interest. The segment provides various insurance and security solutions, including:
• mutual funds
• segregated funds
• insurance policies such as life and health
• annuity products
The corporation claims to earn a significant part of its revenue from premium charges under the Empire Life Insurance segment. The diversified investment portfolio consists of fixed income and equity securities, pooled funds, loans and mortgages.
The financial service firm reportedly focuses on increasing the long-term capital value and enhancing return on investments (ROI) to maximize the value for the shareholders.
The investment company's stocks, under the symbol 'ELF', trade on TSX. In addition, its first preference shares series 1, 4.75 per cent non-cumulative redeemable first preference shares Series 2, and preference shares Series 3 trade on TSX under the symbols ELF.PR.F, ELF.PR.F and ELF.PR.H, respectively.
The diversified investment company was incorporated in Ontario.
On May 6, 2021, the company announced cash dividends for different class of shares.
"10th Floor, 165 University Avenue Toronto, Ontario M5H 3B8"