The programme touches upon the latest economic and financial developments across the globe, some of which can have far-reaching effects worldwide. Watch The Economic Corner on Kalkine TV and stay updated.
• The Pentagon has cancelled the $10 billion Jedi cloud computing contract that had been awarded to Microsoft.
• Chinese regulators have announced an investigation into the ride-hailing app Didi that raised more than $4billion in a New York IPO last week.
• The Cyberspace Administration of China opened an investigation into Full Truck Alliance, another Chinese company that recently got listed in the US.
• New Zealand's business confidence improved sharply in the second quarter as the COVID-free economy surged.
• The Reserve Bank of New Zealand held interest rates in May but hinted at a hike as early as September 2022.
• The Reserve Bank of Australia has announced it will keep official interest rates on hold at 0.10%.
• At 66.3 in June, up from 64.2 in May, the seasonally adjusted IHS Markit UK Construction PMI Total Activity Index signalled the strongest rate of output growth for exactly 24 years.
• US president Joe Biden is expected to urge more Americans to get vaccinated against Covid-19.
• India’s state of Maharashtra is reimposing tough Covid-19 restrictions as public anxiety mounts about a potential third wave of infections