Hi, you are watching kalkine tv live from Sydney. This is the global markets roundup. Lets look at the US and UK market updates from the Friday’s close.
• The S&P 500 was up 0.88% to 4,229.89. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose marginally by 0.52% to 34,756.39. The NASDAQ Composite Index gained 1.47% to 13,814.49. The small-cap Russell 2000 was ticked up 0.31% to 2,286.41.
• Of the 11 major sectors on the S&P 500, eight were in the green zone, with the technology segment leading the rest at 1.95%. The communication segment rose 1.39%.
• Moving on to some next news. In a sign of modest progress in the job market, the Labor Department said on Friday that US businesses had created 559,000 new vacancies in May, further bringing down the unemployment rate from 6.1% in April to 5.8% now.
• Facebook Inc. (FB) faces separate probes by Europe and Britain over allegations of unfair trade. Both sides have launched formal investigations into the charges. However, the news did not appear to impact the stock price, which was up 1.37%.
• Drugmaker Regeneron Pharmaceutical Inc. said that it received an FDA authorization for a new covid drug administered through injection. The stock was trading flat. Biotechnology company Biogen Inc. rose 5.33%.
• Meanwhile, shares of AMC Entertainment Inc. (AMC) continued their previous gains, rising about 1.5% in Friday’s session. The stock surged around 90% during the week.
• Technology stocks DocuSign Inc. rose 18.74%, and MicroVision Inc. gained 10.57%. Microsoft Corp. added 2.19%, Nvidia Corp. added 3.35%, and Zoom Video Communications Inc. added 5.02%. Tesla Inc. jumped 4.33%.