This is the global markets roundup show on kalkine TV.
• The S&P 500 was down 0.18per cent to 4,219.55. The Dow Jones shed 0.44per cent to 34,447.14. The NASDAQ Composite dropped 0.09per cent to 13,911.75. The small-cap Russell 2000 was down 0.71per cent to 2,327.13.
• Some real estate and entertainment stocks were also in the limelight in Wednesday's session. Real estate investment trust GEO Group Inc. (GEO) gained 37per cent, and the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE) jumped more than 10per cent at the market close.
• Shares of fintech startup Marqeta Inc. (MQ) rose more than 11per cent after its market debut, bringing its worth to 17.2 billion. Marqeta provides payment services to companies like Uber Inc. and DoorDash.
• Pharma major Merck & Co. (MRK) stock was marginally up 0.69per cent after it reported a deal with the US government to supply more than 1.5 million Molnupiravir vaccines for covid treatment. The transaction value is about US$1.2 billion. Shares of Pfizer Inc. (PFE) increased by 2.46per cent, while the cannabis firm Tilray Inc. (TLRY) jumped 5.79per cent.
• The stocks of steel producer Cleveland Cliffs (CLF) gained 14per cent, and lender UWM Holdings Corp. (UWMC) surged 8per cent. United Parcel, Inc. (UPS) dropped 4.15per cent and FedEx (FDX) dropped 3.13per cent.