- Parents play a crucial role in framing ways that a child perceives, reacts, and adapts to changes in life.
- Effective parenting skills are dynamic and keep changing based upon the age group, demands and behavioural changes of the child.
- Parents need to inculcate efficient skills to understand their child in a better and more comprehensive way.
Parenting is one of the trickiest tasks that humans are subjected to. Every child is unique, and so is every age group. Parenting involves a personalised way of dealing with children. As it’s rightly said, “nurture is nature,” a child’s behaviour while growing up and during adulthood is directly influenced by how they were nurtured during their budding years.
What are effective parenting skills?
Effective parenting skills are dynamic and keep changing based upon the age group, demands and behavioural changes of the child. A parent needs to be observant of their child and decide about what is it that their child needs and how they can fulfil the needs of the child up to its optimum satisfaction.
However, it might sound easy but developing effective parenting skills is not everyone’s cup of tea. Parents at times might get impatient with their children, or perhaps do not understand at all what their child’s growth is demanding. Thus, effective parenting skills are vital.
ALSO READ: Have you heard of personalised nutrition?
Image Source: © Bradcalkins | Megapixl.com
Importance of effective parenting skills
Childhood and adolescence are two intricate phases of life. Both phases require deep understanding and adaptability towards life. Parents play a crucial role in framing how a child perceives, reacts, and adapts to various changes in life.
From developing a behavioural attitude to cognitive abilities, a child forms a base of every intellectual and emotional aspect while growing up. Subsequently, parents must have effective parenting skills.
GOOD READ: A bag of tricks to control short temper.
What should parents do?
It is important to understand and inculcate effective parenting skills. The following skills are of utmost importance for wholesome and successful parenting –
- Problem solving attitude - A parent’s attitude towards their child should always be problem solving. Children and especially adolescents may bring peculiar circumstances. However, parents play a significant role here. They should always focus on “how to solve the issue.” That also teaches the child that they should develop a problem-solving attitude towards life.
- Patience - Parents might feel agitated at times when children act persistent on the wrong things. But the most important thing is to not get angry and try to be patient with the kids. Anger is an enemy to good parenting and patience can teach a bucket of things to both parents and children.
- Analytical training - Everything is contextual, understanding the context is crucial. It is vital to note that a child develops critical and analytical skills while growing up. Parents need to focus on how they can help their child develop analytical skills towards understanding the context of various aspects whatsoever.
GOOD READ: Sports paves the road to a better lifestyle.
Image Source: © Evgenyatamanenko | Megapixl.com
- Emotional availability - Every child has different emotional needs. It is the duty of the parent to understand those needs. In today’s fast-moving life, parents might find it difficult to dedicate their time in understanding the emotions of their child. This is the biggest mistake. Because childhood traumas can have multifaceted effects during adulthood. Parents should make sure that they are emotionally available for their children.
- Morals and ethics - When a child observes and sees the world for the first time, they do not know what is right and wrong. Thievery is wrong, how do we know this? Our parents taught us. It is important for every parent to help the child understand what good morals are and how people should always adhere to moralistic behavior so that the world becomes a peaceful place.
On one hand, parenting is an entirely subjective task. On the other hand, there are a few skills that are mandatory for efficient parenting. Parents need to inculcate such skills so that they understand their child in a better and more comprehensive way.