JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - Equatorial Guinea has confirmed its first-ever outbreak of Marburg virus disease following the deaths of at least nine people in Kie-Ntem province, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
"Further investigations are ongoing. Advance teams have been deployed in the affected districts to trace contacts, isolate and provide medical care to people showing symptoms of the disease," the WHO said in a statement.
It said so far nine deaths and 16 suspected cases with symptoms including fever, fatigue and blood-stained vomit and diarrhea have been reported.
(Reporting by Nellie Peyton and Anait Miridzhanian; Editing by Chris Reese)