Medtronic Plc is a public limited company that provides medical technology and solutions.
The company's history dates back to 1949 when two engineers, Earl Bakken and Palmer Hermundsile, established a repair business for medical electronics.
It is engaged in the manufacturing, production, and distribution of products the following medical devices:
• Apparatus and surgical devices
• Respiratory monitoring system
• Medical instruments
• Cardiac devices
• Insulin pumps
• Spine and cranial robotics
• Patient monitoring system
The company is a leading player in the health care sector and medical equipment and devices sub-industry.
The company entered the Indian market in 1979 and now operates through its wholly owned subsidiary Indian Medtronic Pvt Ltd. It has various regional offices in different locations such as Dhaka, Cochin, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kolkata in the Indian subcontinent.
The company operates through four primary business segments as follows:
• Neuroscience Portfolio: It caters to neurologists, spinal surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, radiologists, eye and throat specialists, etc.
• Cardiovascular Portfolio: It consists of cardiovascular products for heart failure specialists, vascular surgeons, implanting cardiologists, etc.
• Medical Surgical Portfolio: The segment comprises surgical innovations, gastrointestinal and renal divisions.
• Diabatic Operating Unit: This segment develops, manufactures, and markets products for Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes patients.
The Dublin-based company runs the business through various subsidiaries, including:
• Medtronic of Canada
• Mazor Robotics
• Titan Spine Inc
• HeartWare Inc
• Osteotech Inc
• Meditronic Spine LLC
• Midas Rex, L.P.
• United States Surgical Corporation
• Medtronic CoreValve LLC
The company serves physicians, healthcare systems, clinicians, patients in around 150 countries worldwide.
Medtronic Inc's products are also available on its online platform, wherein customers can choose from a detailed catalogue and get discounts. It also customized products according to the needs of the healthcare systems.
The company is reportedly focusing on providing cutting-edge technologies in the healthcare infrastructure. In addition, its partnership units provide quality care, enhanced access, and affordability for the healthcare providers.
Medtronic also markets its products through advertisements on billboards, television, etc.