Hi, you are watching ‘The Opening Bell’. Let us cast an eye over how market charter is panning out today.
• The top performing stocks in this index are Centuria Industrial REIT and Growthpoint Properties Australia. Growthpoint Properties Australia (ASX:GOZ) said that 45 of its 55 properties, or 77 per cent of the group’s portfolio by value, have been externally valued at 30 June 2021.
\• US employers offered more jobs in May 2021 and also raised wages, but the nonfarm payrolls increase of 559,000 jobs landed below the forecast of 650,000 by economists polled by Reuters.
• On Wall Street, stocks rallied on Friday, led by technology shares. The Dow Jones rose 0.52 per cent, while the S&P 500 was up 0.88 per cent.
• The US Treasury yields fell on Friday, and the yield curve flattened after job gains in May fell short of expectations, tempering expectations the US Fed will tighten monetary policy sooner rather than later.
• Australian Energy players such as Santos Limited (ASX:STO), Woodside Petroleum Limited (ASX:WPL) and Origin Energy Limited (ASX:ORG) are trading lower for the day despite positive oil price dynamics witnessed last week.
• Brent crude rose 0.8 per cent, to close at US$71.90 a barrel, after touching the day’s high of US$72.20, its highest since May 2019. WTI crude oil was up by 1.18 per cent to US$69.62 a barrel.